Monday, June 29, 2015

AIMS Math

A few years back when I taught 5th grade, my principal had an AIMS rep fly out for a week to do some Professional Development with us.  Her focus was Science, since we had a Science EOG in 5th grade.  She spent the morning rotating between our 3 classes, teaching a different science lesson each time, and then we would meet with her in the afternoon to discuss the lessons and use some more activities.  The best part was definitely the HUGE Binder she made for each of us with a ton of lessons to go along with the standards, and a kit with manipulatives and tools for each of the lessons! My students enjoyed the lessons, and I enjoyed teaching them, as I felt they really broke down the information in a kid friendly way.

Fast forward to now: Our school gave each teacher $200 to spend at the end of the school year for the upcoming year.  I decided to purchase some AIMS activities for math.  I like the idea of using them in my classroom because they are so hands on and kids LOVE hands on.  But I also want to try Guided Math this upcoming year...I will have to try to balance both, and I'm sure I'll be able to once I play around with it, I'm just having a hard time picturing it in my head!

Have any of you used AIMS in your math classes? How did it go?

No comments:

Post a Comment