Monday, August 12, 2013

Changes all around!

This is going to be quick because I am EXHAUSTED! I went out to school today to work in my classroom, and stayed way later than I had originally planned! But I was able to get a lot accomplished, so that's good news at least :)  Hopefully by the end of the week I will be able to give a classroom reveal!

As you know, I have been teaching 4th grade math for the past few years.  This year, my school is implementing Lucy Calkin's Writers Workshop school wide.  However, with the way our schedule was for 3-5, it was going to be hard for the Reading teacher to fit everything in in the time frame she had.  So my admin has decided to departmentalize us (1 teach science, 1 teach math, 1 teach reading, 1 teach SS, and 1 teach writing), and I will now be teaching 4th grade writing! I am so excited! Don't get me wrong, I LOVE math, but I was ready for a change...even though I didn't want to switch grade levels and learn an entire new curriculum with a new baby at home! So this is GREAT! The best part is, I used Lucy Calkins during my student teaching, and carried that into my own classroom when I was self-contained, so this isn't going to be entirely brand new to me!

The only stressful part is...now I have nothing to go on my walls.  Everything I have had up for the past few years is math...so nothing that I have for writing matches my color scheme.  Guess what I'll be doing all weekend? Ugh....

How do y'all work this at your school? Do you team teach, departmentalize, or stay self-contained?

1 comment: